The 19th Annual AIA Architecture Tour is cancelled. Stay tuned for 2021.
This year’s tour locations include:
Photography by Tim Soar
1123 Cumberland Drive, OKC
Owners: Renzi & Lee Ann Stone
Architect: Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
Contractor: Lingo Construction Services
Cumberland Court is a private home for a family of four located within a new residential development in Nichols Hills. The gabled exterior is nominally in the ‘Tudor Revival style’, but it conceals a contrastingly modern interior. The white brick plays on the traditional forms with projecting, screening and recessed texture that serves as a unifying language throughout. The interior program is ordered around three exterior courtyards, each approached differently to accommodate varying uses, all connected through large glazed openings. This allows for the removal of the traditional barriers to the outside and extends the livable area.
Photography by Eric Baker
Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
1801 N. Lincoln Blvd, OKC
Owners: Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
Architect: Beck Design
The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation project was a $16M renovation and addition, completely funded by proceeds made from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses, not by taxpayers.
The original building had served the Wildlife Department for nearly 50 years without any notable renovation. The existing building was a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired design that served as the inspiration for the new addition. The current structure of 23,000 SF was completely stripped of all interior components leaving only the structural frame and the roof. It was then retro-fitted with new mechanical, electrical, IT and security systems.
A new 12,000 SF addition was built; expanding the building to the west and north and introducing natural light to the interior of the building. Outdoor balconies were included to provide new vistas of downtown Oklahoma City and the State Capitol. The new addition houses offices, a conference room that cantilevers into the grand lobby, new auditorium, new front entrance and grand lobby with an elaborate wildlife diorama and interactive kiosks. This interactive element provides opportunities for conservation education for the next generation of hunters and anglers.
The new Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation headquarters emulates the great State of Oklahoma with interior design features such as: intricate stone waves that splash across the board room walls representing movement of a waterfall, natural light filling open space through the lofty atrium where custom-made felt tree benches glow, and a duck blind that serves as the purchasing desk for licensing and permits.
Photography by Joseph Mills Photography
Astrin / Marks Residence
736 NE 18th Street, OKC
Owners: Sharon Astrin and Randy Marks
Architect: Joseph I. Davis (deceased)
Joseph I. Davis was one of Oklahoma’s first architects, and this project is a historic rehabilitation of his personal residence in the Lincoln Terrace historic district. Mr. Davis was also the architect for the Walcourt Building at 141 NE 13th Street.
The Tudor Revival style residence was constructed in 1928. Exterior details include half-timbering, a steep multi-gabled roof, and steel casement and leaded glass windows. There are tall multiple-staff chimneys on either end of the house, featuring decorative brick patterns.
The interiors are rich in detail characteristic of Tudor Revival style, including beams, a herringbone brick floor located in the solarium, an ornate plaster ceiling, and crown moldings. Two original wood-burning fireplaces remain, as do all of the ten-panel solid wood doors, the brass door hardware, and many light fixtures.
The kitchen was redesigned by taking out a wall between the kitchen and the original breakfast room. To provide support, and a consistent aesthetic, a beam was designed to the specifications of the original beams found throughout the house. The hardwood floors were uncovered after removing several layers of linoleum. Finishes include Carrera marble and artisan brick tile with a hand-applied white glaze.
The renovated hall bath flooring is cement tile. Handmade zellige and soapstone were also used, along with unlacquered brass fixtures, a vintage cast glass pendant, and a clawfoot tub. The master bedroom has a plaster fireplace, and original sconces. The ensuite master bath/closet was reconfigured to create a walk-in closet, shelving, and a new shower.
Photography by: Simon Hurst Photography
Ryan Whaley Coldiron Jantzen Peters & Webber PLLC
400 North Walnut Avenue, OKC
Owner: Walnut 1919
Architect: Studio Architecture
Contractor: Vincit Constructors
This existing 18,973 SF building located in the Deep Deuce District has recently been historically preserved and renovated to become the new home for the Ryan Whaley law firm. The original building was designed by Layton & Smith Architects and constructed in 1919. Its first floor housed the power source for the adjacent Irving School and the Board of Education Administration Offices for the Oklahoma City Schools were located on the second floor. The addition to the East side of the building was completed in 1928. During the Cold War, the building was used as a Civil Defense Center. In the 1970’s, the building was purchased by Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc. (OIC) and was utilized as an alternative education and skills training center.
At some point in the building’s history, the original front entry steps were modified. In 2015, the front entry steps to the building were removed without a permit and all the interior partitions were demolished. In 2018, a group of attorneys from Ryan Whaley purchased the building and began historically preserving and renovating it for the Firm’s new offices, ultimately saving an important piece of Oklahoma City’s architectural history. The building was successfully placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2019.
Renovation work included reconstruction of the entry steps on the west façade of the building based on the original design by Layton & Smith Architects. Interior renovation included a new office layout with new finish materials such as: partition/wall construction; new flooring and lighting; a new elevator; plumbing fixtures; and an HVAC system. The interior design emphasizes the exposed, existing brick walls and concrete beams and columns to contrast with modern finishes of polished concrete, glass, and steel.
Photography by Eric Schmid
624 NW 4th Street, OKC
Owners: City Center Development
Architect: Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
Contractor: Smith & Pickel Construction
Located in a rapidly developing residential context in downtown Oklahoma City, The Bower provides a unique mix of for-sale condominiums and townhomes to meet the area’s growing demands. Townhomes are situated along 4th Street maintaining an active street edge, while the two story massing introduces depth, shadow and relief, creating public and private amenities along the street edge. The main pedestrian entry is carved through the townhomes, breaking up the extended street frontage while leading to a shared lobby. Density is introduced with a multi-story condominium building at the rear of the site, providing varying unit types that respond to different spatial and budgetary needs. The building masses step up in height from 4th Street, introducing density which is sympathetic to the surrounding context. Cascading balconies become external rooms that act as shading devices providing spacious external space to each unit with varying downtown views. New landscaping is provided along 4th Street, the alley to the north, and the primary pedestrian paths, uniting the buildings and site with a consistent appearance.
Photography By Anthony McDermid, AIA
611 NW 7th Street, OKC
Owners: Bob and Amanda Sullivan
Architect: TAP Architecture
Contractor: Savannah Builders
Three Palms is the latest addition to the eclectic NW OKC neighborhood known as the Cottage District, also dubbed South of St Anthony’s [SoSA].
Bob and Amanda Sullivan wanted to help their architect understand the “feel” they wanted for their project and clipped magazine images of features they wanted to inform the design of the house. Natural materials, form, space and light were common themes and would write the DNA for their home.
The 50’ x 140’ lot is typical for this neighborhood and “form follows function” drove the site plan. All successful building design starts with a well-conceived response to its location on the planet. Code established setbacks, interior garden, large footprint, oversized garage, optimized views, privacy and respect for neighbors’ homes all generated a way for the home to occupy the lot. Among the notable features of the site design are a west zero lot line which was negotiated with neighbors for mutual benefits. The resulting space on the east side creates a private garden and invites natural light deep into the interior.
The street view features three north/south masonry walls projecting from three stepped back floors. The cantilevered floors and “wing” walls create shade and privacy for the first two floors and the 3rd floor entertainment terrace which invites dramatic views of downtown.
Visitors pass two palm sculptures through a door which opens into a soaring glass entry way dominated by an epic stair connecting all three floors. The living space flows from the entryway to the chef’s kitchen where Bob, owner of the original Sullivan’s Restaurant, practices the culinary arts.
The 2nd floor highlight is a luxury appointed master suite and on 3rd floor an entertainment penthouse complete with bar, outdoor kitchen, screened in porch, firepit, spectacular views and palm tree number three.
Photography by Simon Hurst
Positive Tomorrows New School for Homeless Children
901 N. Villa Avenue, OKC
Owners: Susan Agel, President/Principal
Architect: MA+ Architecture
Contractor: GE Johnson Construction
Positive Tomorrows, Oklahoma’s only tuition-free private elementary school and social service agency that partners with families experiencing homelessness, was previously housed in a small church annex. The MA+ team became involved with Positive Tomorrows in 2013 and was selected to design their new elementary school consisting of 42,000 sf of flexible learning environments. The new school has classrooms for Early Head Start through 8th grade, art and music, special education, and outdoor learning opportunities. The new facility features a secure entry vestibule, offices, meeting rooms, Family Support spaces, and additional storage rooms for donations. Specialized learning areas include a Maker Space and Kitchen Lab designed to provide students with valuable hands-on education opportunities. Two of the classrooms double as storm shelters, providing much needed safety during Oklahoma’s severe weather.
Both Positive Tomorrows and the MA+ design team wanted to create a sense of “home” for the students and approached the design with the student’s greatest needs in mind. The design supports Positive Tomorrows’ educational philosophy, High Structure – High Love, and its potential of becoming a nation-wide model. This new building is an extension of the stable environment Positive Tomorrows has established for their students since their founding in 1989. With this new building, Positive Tomorrows’ presence has become more apparent, increasing community awareness about homelessness in our city. It is the hope of this project’s stakeholders that with this increased awareness, greater support of the work Positive Tomorrows is doing to break the cycle of poverty and homelessness will follow.
Photography by Joseph Mills
823 N. Villa Avenue, OKC
Owners: ReMerge Oklahoma
Contractor: GE Johnson Construction
ReMerge needed a new facility in order to continue growing their successful program: helping mothers facing incarceration transform into productive citizens. REES designed the space to support the journey of ReMerge participants. Our designers created a welcoming entry and chose a soft, comforting color palette. An abundance of natural light and views of nature enter the space, thanks to limited walls and doors. The building is centered around a large kitchen with open dining space and a combined living room and library, and also features group therapy rooms, a wellness space and tranquil garden and meditation area. These features enhance the program’s emphasis on group bonding.
Thank you to our Architecture Week Sponsors!
Bell & McCoy Lighting and Controls
Energy Systems and Energy Solutions (ES2)
JE Dunn Construction
Pella Windows and Doors of Oklahoma
Smith Lighting Sales
A.C. Owen Construction
Premier Lighting Sales
Miller Tippens Construction
Rick Scott Construction
Smith & Pickel Construction